Areo publishes thoughtful essays from a variety of perspectives compatible with broadly liberal and humanist values. It places particular priority on evidence and reason centred pieces. As much as possible, Areo tries to avoid polarizing tribalistic stances and prioritizes intellectual balance, charity, honesty and rigor.

About 75% of Areo writers are academics or graduate students, but they write accessibly about cultural issues for much wider audiences. The other 25% range from high school students to artists to activists to journalists to anyone at all with an original idea that they argue for well. We feature first time writers and well-known veterans of cultural commentary. If you write well and thoughtfully and you have an idea which you think has not been argued for before and you want space and time to unfold it, submit it to Areo. We pay £40 (about $50) for a regular and £80 for a feature, so it won’t make you rich, but you will be read by a wide audience of thoughtful and ideologically diverse people.

Areo wants:                                                                                                                                              Thoughtful, well-argued pieces expressing an original idea, ideally between 1200 and 3000 words. We do accept shorter and longer pieces provided that is needed to do them justice. Write as though you are addressing a class of bright and engaged 1st year undergraduates with no prior knowledge of your subject.

Be clear
Be reasoned
Be evidenced
Be balanced
Be charitable
Be engaging
Be relevant to an international readership

Areo does not want:
Sensationalist, hyperbolic or partisan speaking points
Obscure theoretical, theological or metaphysical musings
Hit pieces on individuals – address ideas rather than people

If you have something to say that is engaging, original, and thoughtful, describe the thesis of your piece in a few sentences and then send the completed work to as either a Microsoft Word document, Apple Pages document, or in the body of your email.

Please follow our style guide.


Style Guide


Submissions may be in British English or American English provided this is done relevantly and consistently. Because we have a wide readership over the Anglophone world, please consider your audience and avoid terminology and slang which may not be known on either side of the Atlantic. When in doubt, it is usually better to go with American terms.


Please do not just use the hyphen button for all types of hyphens and dashes. Rather, use these appropriately:

Em dash: — used when separating sentence segments. To create an em dash on Macintosh use “shift” + “alt/option” + “-” together. For a Windows machine use “ctrl” + “option” + “-”.

En dash: – used between sequences and numbers e.g. 135–139 pages. To create an en dash on Macintosh use “alt/option” + “-” together. For a Windows machine an en dash is a little more difficult. You can find the instructions here.

Dash: – used for hyphenation e.g. “slow-witted.” We hope you know where to find that on a keyboard!


Please don’t use double spacing after periods and full stops. One space will do.


We use double quotes. Yes, we know it’s not “correct.”  But when you are quoting someone, their words go inside of double quotes. When you want to emphasize a word, you should use double quotes as well as opposed to single (‘ ’) quotes. Even better, if you want to emphasize something use italics.

When including a quote that is more than three lines longs, indent it without quotes.

Additionally, make sure your commas, full-stops, and question marks go inside the quotation marks.


Please ensure that the draft you send us has text which is already hyperlinked.

For example don’t send us this:

Areo has a style guide on their website for submissions (


Areo has a style guide on their website for submissions.


Please do not use footnotes, endnotes or a bibliography but incorporate all references into the body of the work. For example,

In The Better Angels of Our Nature, Steven Pinker writes, “For most of the history of civilisation, the practice of slavery was the rule rather than the exception.”

Page numbers are unnecessary.


The names of publications should be italicized. But we omit the “The” in front of publication names. For example, The New Yorker, will be the New Yorker, The New York Times will be the New York Times.

The names of essays and articles are in quotes, not italicized. Book, TV, and movie titles are italicized, not in quotes.


We reserve the right to make minor cuts and changes to improve the readability of the prose. Any substantial changes will be discussed with the author.

We aim to get back to you within five days but sometimes it can take a week. If the submission is urgent or timely, make that clear. If you don’t hear back from us, please consider another outlet for publication.

For questions, comments, crises, concerns: